Saturday, July 31, 2010

Last Friday…

WARNING - Don’t read this if you are squeamish (why do I have so many posts that start like that??) 

So last Friday night I fell asleep on the couch with my contacts in, I woke up, went to take them out. Then I went to sleep. Or at least I tried but my right eye started to swell. and swell. and swell. And it started to weep and to feel heavy and very uncomfortable. Like a thudding pain that radiated behind my eyeball. So I get out of bed and flip on the light to look in the bathroom sink mirror.

HORRORS – my eye is grotesquely swollen AND some clear goo is moving across the surface of my eyeball – I pin the lids open and try to swipe the goo – thinking it is some sort of discharge – AAAH more horrors – it doesn’t come off – it is some sort of clear solid film across my eyeball. It was terrible. horrific. Like when you have that dream that your teeth are falling out and you stare in the mirror at your crumbled teeth (everyone has that dream right?) and then you realize – its just a dream. only this WASN’T. It was my EYEBALL and there was something very terribly wrong with it. So Will gets the kids out of bed and takes me to the local Emergency Room. Even the nurse, an ER nurse who you know sees all kinds of guts and gore takes a look at me and says, “oh my gosh that looks awful, like really bad”. Um thanks dude. really.

They flush it out and put in all kinds of drops and stare into it with bright lights. He put in some dye and looked with a special lamp – he said if there was an abrasion it would show up green. Well – the entire rim of my eyeball turned green. Finally, while I lay there thinking I am going to go blind, that my retina has detached or something… he says I am having two things – 1. An severe infection and 2. A severe allergic reaction to something. But he says – nothing is actually in my eyeball and he can’t see any abrasions – so no damage basically. The clear white film – it was actually the membrane behind my eyeball that was so incredibly swollen that it overflowed it’s proper area and had crept up over the surface of my eye and across my cornea. Holy cow batman – it was SO nasty!

After a full night’s sleep and a lot of eye drops I was mostly looking better. By the next day it was still very swollen but the nasty membrane has retreated back away from the surface. Thank heavens.  I will have to wear my glasses for a while. Kind of makes me wish I had kept up with the prescription as they are like 5 years and several prescriptions old.

The only good thing is that after WEEKS of being on the waiting list – I have in my possession the entire first season of The Legend of the Seeker. So a great deal  of my evenings has been spent watching it  - with my one good eye. Kind of EYE-ronic – eh? Legend of the SEEker…Hah, I crack myself up.

1 comment:

The Pences said...

Oh, someone told me that had happened -- I completely forgot to ask about it today! Ew ew ew! But so glad it's better now!


View My Stats