Saturday, February 4, 2012

The world of…Tang Soo Do

First of all it’s pronounced more or less like Taun Sue Dough.  I asked Jacob one time what it translated as and he looked at me like, DER, and said “The Karate School”, which makes total sense now because the name of his school is, The Karate School. Yes, well OK then.

December 10, 2011 Jacob tested for his green belt.   It is amazing to see how much he has progressed since he started.

I love the discipline and self control the kids demonstrate. It is a wonder to see a room of over a hundred kids, all sitting silently with their eyes on their instructor. I think this must be the same joy the Lord has when we are focused on His Will.

DSC_0174_162

Kicks.

DSC_0195_183

Forms.

DSC_0218_206

DSC_0201_189

At the last tournament Jacob tried to break boards and did not. The orange belt test included breaking and this time he did it!  It was on the other side of the room, so I didn’t get a clear shot of him. But essentially two instructors hold the board between them and they have to break it with the side of their hand. You know you hate to see your kid try something and fail, but I feel this experience really made him realize that hard work pays off. We were really proud of him, it takes guts to slam your hand into a board (And yes, they are real boards and it does hurt!)

DSC_0223_211

Walking back to his spot afterwards, I was surprised he really maintained his composure, because I knew on the inside he was beaming with pride. 

DSC_0225_213

A few weeks after the test, there was a ceremony where he was presented with his orange belt.

DSC_0533DSC_0535DSC_0542

The biggest difference from yellow to orange would be that now he does sparring, which means actually practicing all the kicks, punches and blocks (everyone wearing protective gear of course).  The school teaches that with each level comes more responsibility, I have seen Jacob turn into a kid that avoids conflict in a healthy way.  I even hear him counsel his sister “just because someone does something to you, doesn’t mean you can hit back”.  

No comments:


View My Stats