Sunday, May 27, 2007

All the cool kids are doing it....

...blogging that is. So I'm going to give it a try. No long term promises though! There are a variety of reasons why I haven't done this before #1) I am bad about starting things and not finishing them. There are an alarming number of unfinished quilting, knitting, sewing and scrap booking projects waiting patiently in my closet. Until now, these were my own private guilt stash but blogging is public, and so others will know that I am behind and exactly how long it is has been since my last post! Aack! The pressure! Which brings me to Reason # 2) Privacy. While we're not hiding out from the government or anything it does sort of creep me out to have even the smallest part of my family's life on public display. Say you post this really great picture of your kid but then in the background is your messy bathroom. Add to the mix a place for comments and I'm envisioning pages of comments suggesting toilet bowl cleaners or tooth whitening kits that I really might should consider. OK, so the reality is that none of our friends or family would post that I needed to scrub my toilet or whiten my teeth but still - the framework is there - you know? # 3) I guess it just feels kind of self-absorbed to me. I mean here there is this entire world of information and entertainment at your finger tips, so why would anyone want to read about my life? I keep thinking that if people had free time they would be reading up on current events in the Middle East, or downloading the newest album from Modest Mouse or buying it now on e-bay. So, why am I starting a blog then? Because I really enjoy the blogs of my friends, and because I live so far from many members of our family - it seems like a great way to stay better connected. Most of all because we are going through the most extraordinary time of our lives. I've never been so happy as I am right now and I want to hold on to that contentment - to be able to remember how blessed and and full our lives are right now.

No comments:


View My Stats