Monday, March 30, 2009

An eggsellent time was had by all...

What an abundant weekend we’ve had – no other way to describe it. Saturday morning we were up early to attend our neighborhood Easter party. Oh my goodness – it was SO cold. (Anyone from up north would laugh at me, it was like in the forties, but that is cold for March in Houston). Jacob did the egg scramble and we visited with the Bunny. They also had pony rides and a petting zoo but we were freezing and headed back home.

Watching Jacob at the egg hunt was interesting. They put tons of eggs out all over the baseball field and then ready-set-go all the 4-7 year olds ran to get the eggs. Jacob is my dreamy child, he is not competitive, and there are very few things in life that are urgent to him. While other kids grabbed up as many eggs as possible, Jacob sort of wandered around. In the end some kids had basketfuls of eggs, Jacob had four. Two were empty, the third had a pink plastic bunny ring and the fourth egg had a $25 Gift Certificate to Toys R Us! Isn’t that amazing?
Later that afternoon we went down and met my in-laws at the Bayou City Art Festival. By this time it had warmed up and it was a beautiful afternoon to be out of doors. The food was good, and there was music and dancing and of course hundreds of artists’ booths. You would have to spend the whole day, maybe more, to see everything up close but oh they had such lovely things there: jewelry, carved wooden sculpture, paintings, photography, sculpture – everything from chairs made of bottle caps to the finest oil paintings. Often the artist was there to talk about their work and in some cases they were weaving or painting right there in front of you so it was educational too. There was a whole section of booths that was for kid’s crafts (all free). A few activities were the usual paint-a-rock, make-a-tambourine sort of things but some I thought were really innovative. There was this one cool booth that involved setting objects on photo paper and then letting them expose in the sun. Another really neat booth let kids decorate their own little art car. Jacob has a rather short attention span for arts and crafts. He does things kind of perfunctorily and then is about done, so we just painted rocks and did the photo paper thing. He was way more interested in the music and dancing. It's neat to start to see their interests emerge. Having fun on the shuttle ride to the festival
Jacob checks out a metal lion sculpture
Using the sun to make art Painting a rock -
Sunday morning I attended church in my kitchen. I have a girlfriend who just had major surgery so I spent the morning cooking up some meals and a cake and in the afternoon Bella and I took them over to her and had a visit. We also made a quick trip to Wal-mart. Now you all know I despise Wal-Mart; but I needed Velveeta, diapers and a tomato plant and if you need those things all in one trip then Wal-mart is it. In addition to the tomato plant, I also got basil, cilantro, rosemary plants and two packs of seeds - green beans and chives. It is my intention to do a very small garden this year. Stay tuned for updates on that project.

2 comments:

The Pences said...

Aren't you guys just too cute! My mom wants to do a garden over here too, for veggies I think. The problem is that when she's gone it's up to me to tend them. My brown thumbs combined with my complete lack of, well, caring end up with sad little dead plants. Good luck on the garden!
I LOVE Arts' fesivals -- my dad used to drag us to them ALL the time. I guess it's time for me to start dragging my kids to them!

Jason and Shari said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun. I look forward to doing things like this with Brooke.


View My Stats