Friday, April 17, 2009

Catching Up on April - Easter!

This past weekend we attended Good Friday services on Friday evening and then had a typical busy Saturday the next day including a much needed hair cut for Jacob. I’m happy to report that Jacob’s previous haircut grew out enough that we could go get it cut again and that most of the awful layers came off. I have found an awesome place to go, Sherri’s Cuts in Atascocita. Sherri herself cut Jacob’s hair, she is a no nonsense grandma that couldn’t wait to get her hands on Jacob’s hair which she declared was in a “right sorry state”. It looks so much better now. Saturday evening Will’s parents came to sleep over and we had dinner and dyed eggs with the children. Easter morning dawned rainy; we went to 8:30 church in the misty moisty morning. The service was wonderful and had all the bits that make it feel like Easter to me. Since it was the first sanctuary service all the vestments, altar flowers etc. were brought back in and the cross which had been draped in black was revealed covered in white flowers. Will’s Dad cracked a joke saying “Couldn’t they have finished getting everything ready before the service started?” The music included “Was it a Morning Like This”, “Christ the Lord is Risen Today”, “He Lives”, “In the Garden”, and closed with the choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus. There were hand bells which Jacob adored. The only hymn I miss was “Up from the Grave” which we always sang in the Baptist church growing up, on Easter I always miss giggling with my Mom about Jesus being Low in the Gravy. Back home we had an indoor egg hunt and a tasty dinner. Then Jacob finally got a piece of the special Easter cake I made. I have to admit I am a little proud of this cake – it was a four layer lemon cake all done from scratch with lemon curd filling and real whipped cream icing. Jacob loves to bake and both kids were up on chairs “helping” me measure and stir. After it was iced Jacob could not stay away, I caught him just staring at it longingly. “Can I please, please have some?” “Yes, after dinner” “Well, Mamma do you think I could I just lick it a little now?” After lunch Will’s parent went home and we all took long naps. When we woke up every trace of clouds and rain had passed and it was achingly beautiful outdoors. As the morning rain had kind of thwarted my picture taking plans and Jacob was still napping, I dressed Bella up cute and got a few pictures of her sweet self out in the sunshine. I don’t like food to waste so Sunday evening I ran leftover cake to the neighbor’s house and made Deviled Eggs from the Easter eggs. I was not too cheerful over peeling that many eggs – especially since the tricks for making them easy to peel couldn’t be done since I wanted them to stay nice and uncracked for dying. But the deviled eggs are worth the effort. Here’s the recipe I like from my 1963 edition of McCall’s cookbook 12 hard boiled eggs 2 T Mayonnaise 1 T White Vinegar 1.5 t Worcester Sauce 1 t Dry Mustard ¾ t Salt 1/8 t Pepper 1/8 t Paprika ¼ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese Mash the eggs with a fork or sieve. In a separate bowl mix mayonnaise & all other ingredients except cheese. Add this into the eggs and mix thoroughly. Add in grated sharp cheddar cheese. Chill and devour. I'm not crazy about how some of these pictures looked cropped in this collage - but I'm still trying to learn how to work with Picasa and it's too late tonight to mess with anymore. It's 11 PM, yike's, only 7.5 hours until the kids are up again. (Sorry, if you are a new mommy reading this and longing for that much sleep, remember college and sleeping TEN hours straight??? ) Boom! It's really storming out there, With the thunderstorms rolling in I wonder if the babies will both end up in my bed before the night is out....

Posted by Picasa

No comments:


View My Stats