Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bayou City Art Festival

This  March was our third time to attend the Bayou City Art Festival.  It falls close  to Will’s mother’s birthday and it has become a really nice Fisher tradition.

You take a shuttle bus over to Memorial Park. 

There’s a place under the bus for strollers and wagons and stuff.  This year all we had gear wise was one light stroller and our Sherpa backpack with the built in cooler.  Slowly but surely we are able to travel lighter to things like this.

03.201100000240

Jacob was stylin’ in his straw hat. Both my Dad and Will’s Dad are major hat wearers, so he comes by it naturally!

03.201100000202

These were guys painted blue with basketball goals attached to them.  Of course Jacob had to try it out.  I think they were part of some basketball camp or something.

03.201100000198

Food at the festival is not particularly child or wallet friendly. My kids picnicked on pasta, parmesan cheese, fruit and juice boxes from home.

03.201100000200

There are long pathways lined with artist’s booths. As in hundreds it seems like. It is more than I can even begin to take in, Jacob was keeper of the map as usual. He also proved that six is not too old to ride in a stroller, hah hah.

03.201100000205

Bella loves to do any and all kinds of art. Jacob, not so much. He likes to construct or do process driven things where there is a definite start and end. (He gets that from me!) She was happy to spend 20 minutes painting, gluing,glittering a rock. Look at his face in the background – he was hot and bored and ready to go.

03.201100000207

03.201100000208

Paw Paw kept Bella entertained with leaves.

03.201100000216

Jacob was measured for some Piper sandals. These are completely hand made leather “Jesus” style sandals from a little family owned company out of San Antonio.

03.201100000218

03.201100000219

They should be here any day now, I can’t wait to see them.  Will and I had rather envisioned brown sandals, but Jacob chose red.  They emboss the inner sole with a name and date, I had them put Fisher instead of Jacob, I figure Bella will be a size 1 someday.

Happy Birthday Theresa! After the art fest we all went to the Cadillac Bar (which is actually really a great restaurant and not a bar, well I mean they have a bar, but it isn’t A Bar, as in no, really, I don’t take my kids to bars!)

03.201100000242

We did do a little art shopping. Will surprised me with me a small oil painting of loaves of bread sitting in the sunshine, which is really sweet. I always rather imagine that he just humors me on the whole bread making thing. So for him to pick that painting out for me is really special.  And we bought this print by artist Jay Long.  Oh I love his work, I really wanted this one, this one and this one but of course had to pick just the one! But he is in Austin, so you know, it’s totally feasible that someday I might have another or at least visit the studio and drool. (Not of course, actually drooling – drool and original giclee do not mix.)  Go and click on the orginal and then zoom, you have to see how the boat and tree is all made up of printed paper. It’s off the hook!~

Lastly we got this hand made pottery bread bowl.

It is neat, for one I love functional art and then also because the bread can rise,  bake and then be served all right in the bowl.  So far I have used it make beer bread (shown below) and also rosemary bread (which I did not take a picture of because it was literally devoured before it was even cooled but I used fresh rosemary from my own garden and it was AMAZING)

03.201100000250

03.201100000254

So that was our day at the Art Festival 2011. It is right up there on my list with Renaissance Festival. I think I’m just a festival kind of person.

2 comments:

The Pences said...

LOVE the hat! Where do you get a fancy straw hat like that?
I've actually been to the Cadillac Bar -- Matt's 20yr HS reunion was there. Terrible place for a HS reunion, but pretty neat place. Bread bowl is very pretty! I grew up going to arts festivals with my dad but have gotten out of the habit with all the kiddos. It's too hot to hold babies outside. :) I'm such a wuss.
Glad you guys had a great time!
And so far I've seen two dresses on your blog on Bella that Joanna has too.

Shaun said...

Hey Jess- the hat came from a haberdashery at Ren Fest. When we go this fall I will pay attention and tell you, assuming we go before you do.


View My Stats