Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Grandpa Leon


This is my Grandpa Leon.  He passed away on Memorial Day after a heart attack, he was 84.  Almost 50 years ago he married my Grandmother Herlinda.  She had four children and he loved them like his own flesh and blood and was good to them.  He was a white guy, marrying into a Mexican-American family at a time and place where people didn't always cross the tracks to get to know one another, much less fall in love with each other.  He was soooo tall and so big and had a big deep booming voice.  My grandmother is tiny, so it was always sweet to see them together.  He was an old school kind of guy, he played football in college, served in the Navy in WWII and took care of his yard and his family.  When you met him he would shake your hand and ask you what kind of car you drove in a way that would leave lesser men wondering what the right answer was.

I love him and will miss him.


No comments:


View My Stats