Saturday, February 9, 2008

Better Home & Gnawin's

Quite a bit has happened since my last entry. What follows is a detailed account of what's going on - not for the sqeamish! On Monday I went in to have a root canal. The x-rays revealed that the root of the tooth was not in good enough shape to make the root canal sucessful. The endodontist (root canal dentist) suggested I get it extracted and replace the tooth with either a bridge or an implant. A bridge is where they file the teeth on either side down to nubs and string up a false tooth between the nubs and cover the nubs with more false teeth. So basically you lose 3 teeth to replace 1. And they last about 7 years. Given that I'm only 35 that's not such a great option. The other option, an implant, is where they place a titanium screw into your jaw bone then wait 6 months for the bone and gum around it to set. Then they place a pointy thing onto the screw head and then place a tooth onto the screwhead. It should basically last a lifetime but they don't know for certain as the technology is only 15 years old, but the ones placed 15 years ago are still going strong.

So we choose an implant, we go to the Oral Surgeon on Tuesday and he extracts my tooth and clears away all the infected gum and bone. Sadly, he decides there is not enough healthy bone left to place the titanium screw. So I have to have a bone graft. This adds 6 months or so to the previously described process - we must now wait for my gum and jaw bone to heal up around the graft material and then the screw can be placed. I look human today except for some swelling and a large yellow bruise. Most of the week was spent looking like the elephant man and pretty much unable to talk or eat much. I guess the silver lining is that I've lost some weight and Will's had some peace and quiet. The only limitation I have right now is that I can't eat anythig crunchy for 6-12 weeks. How will I possibly survive that long without tortilla chips???!!! I guess I will just have to eat queso with a spoon. Hmm. On second thought that may not be so bad, I've always wanted an excuse to do that.

OK, so on to an update on the house situation. The builder and developer have come back to us and said they will build our desired house on our desired lot if we will be OK with our least favorite facade. It is a brick and stone front with a front porch supported by curved wooden timbers. It is like a little cottage, very cute, it just isn't our favorite.



The other two facades have these really charming rounded stone doorways that we love, just like a little hobbit house.



So we have to decide what we want to do. I think we obviously will spend more time in an awesome back yard and of course, in the house itself, rather than looking at the front of the house. I guess in real estate you always compromise a little on one thing or another. We could have the facade we want on a different lot but all the upstairs windows would have views of nothing but the roof of the houses on either side. Our current lot is pie shaped and so the view opens out a lot more as the house would be set on an angle relative to the ones on each side. I think I'm just in love with the large lot, I want to own as much Texas as possible!

2 comments:

The Eges said...

Since I have been invited to vote:)

I actually like both the elevations. I am a fan of the front porch on the one you guys don't like as much.

The Pences said...

Reading about your mouth makes my mouth hurt! I really think you should post a picture of yourself eating queso with spoon -- eewww.


View My Stats