Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Harvest Day Soup Recipe

This recipe comes from the 1851 Historic Maple Inn Manor in Springfield Kentucky. I have tweaked it somewhat. This was my humble contribution to Jessica's baby shower. Sorry it took me so long to post the recipe, I couldn't find it, I looked and looked and then finally tonight remembered I left it between the pages of my big yellow cookbook. 1 pound sausage (I use maple breakfast sausage) 1 large finely chopped onion 2.5 cups chicken broth (I use organic, 99% fat free, low sodium) 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin (be careful not to get pie filling, you want just plain pumpkin) 1 teaspoon lemon juice 16 oz. Half & Half (or milk or cream, whatever you have) 1/2 tspn nutmeg 1/2 tspn cinnamon salt pepper Brown and crumble the sausage. Set aside, saute onions in drippings until very soft and translucent. Add all the other ingredients. Add back in the sausage. Heat until hot. Serve with French's Fried Onions on top for garnish and some bread to sop up the bowl. That's it. Easier than pie. It's not particularly healthy but it's also probably not something you'll eat everyday. After all, how often does it get cold enough here to even want to make and eat soup?

No comments:


View My Stats