Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Musings on Twilight...

A few things. My pinkie finger hurts like the dickens. They gave me a prescription for pain meds but I'm not much of a pain meds girl. Also it is hard to bathe a one year old with one hand. I could have waited for Will but he was out at Walmart buying the gifts for our Society of St. Stephens angel tree kids and I wanted to get her done and in bed. Will had to help me get my hair washed this morning. He asked if I couldn't just wait (until Thursday when I can take bandage off) - NOT! And my thoughts on the Twilight movie.... You know how the first Harry Potter movie came out and it was like DEAD ON exactly like how you would have imagined the train and the school and just everything and watching the movie was like wandering around in your own head? And you know how in Lord of the Rings your jaw drops open at how incredibly believable the whole thing is and you just fall in love with it, step inside it and live it for two hours (or seven in the case of LOTR). Well I sooo wanted Twilight to be like that, and it just wasn't. Shrug, it's OK. Some parts were really great, I loved all the green of the forest and seeing La Push beach. I loved the bad vampires. Bella was not my favorite. And I wasn't wild about Edward and Bella's make up, honestly it looked like they had been sucking on cherry Popsicles before every scene. Maybe that's why the soundtrack is awesome and the movie not so much, a movie is passive - but a book or a song, you take it in and live with it a while, it mixes in with your own life. I just vividly remember the weekend that I read Twilight. Jacob was about Bella's age (our Bella) and our house had flooded (the washer hose broke) - we had to move out into one of those extended stay hotels with the kitchen. Our hotel suite had been lived in, and lived in hard, by Katrina victims (nothing against them I just mean that hotels aren't really meant to be lived in long term by large families and I totally know it's not their fault, my point is that the room was really bad but it was what was covered by our insurance policy) and it was icky and the furniture was so gross that I had to bring blankets from home to cover the chairs and couch so we could even sit on them. At that point I had no clue how badly our house was damaged how much it would cost us, how long we would have to camp out at the hotel place and in the midst of all of it, all I wanted was to see what would happen next to Edward and Bella! It was the ultimate escape at a time when I really needed a break from reality. I felt different after I had read it, more aware of love and wonder in the world. Not that I thought I was going to encounter a vampire but it made me notice all over again how blue William's eyes are, how the sunlight hits (my) Jacob's hair, the warmth of Will's arm around my shoulder. It changes your awareness, tilts things in a different way. I just remember how Will and I's eyes met at the end of that very long,scary, emotional day and feeling like none of it mattered, it's just stuff and it's just a house and the only thing lasting is the love we felt for each other. And I really wanted the movie to capture that and it didn't. Except in a way it did, because the best part for me was going with my good girlfriends and at the end of the night, it didn't matter that the movie hadn't been superb - because the friendships are.

2 comments:

The Pences said...

Awww... you made me tear up.

The Beasley's said...

I second Jessica! You rock :-)


View My Stats