Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where to start?

We’ve had a series of great, yet exhausting weekends, which is why I haven’t had time to blog. To catch up on the month of October – it all began with Bella cutting four molars all at the same time. The second week of October I got very sick including several serious asthma attacks. The third week of the month, Will came down with Shingles and then a few days later he also came down with whatever cold I had the week before. Jacob has had a cough but otherwise has miraculously managed to stay well. Everyone is doing much better; I still have an ear infection but am hopeful that another round of antibiotics will put an end to it. The blessing in all of this was that Will and I were never sick at the same time, so one of us has been okay enough to keep things running. In a much welcome change from all the infirmity and ickiness, these last two weekends have been special – perfect weather, the kiddos on their best behavior, and a lot of fun activities. Jacob’s First UT Game The weekend of the 25th Bella spent the day with Will’s parents in Montgomery (on Lake Conroe) and Will, Jacob and I headed off to Austin for the UT/Oklahoma State game. Bella in her cheerleader outfit My Dad has a side job attending the law enforcement parking lot near campus on game days, so we got into town, and found where he was working so we were able to get rock star parking for free. Quick hugs & photos with Abuelo Arriving at the stadium As we were walking over to the stadium, my shoe felt kind of weird so I look to see that my shoe had basically just disintegrated. This is what comes of wearing the same sandals every weekend for ten years. I guess they just don’t make shoes like they used to! Of course, I only came with the one pair of shoes and of course they would fall apart at a huge sporting event that involves a lot of walking and going up and down stairs and in and out of public bathrooms and keeping up with kids. If I shuffled and didn’t lift my foot off the ground much, I could barely keep the shoe on so I just kind of slid my foot along until we got to our seats. At half-time we went down to the gift shop (about 2/3 around the other side of the stadium from our seats) and bought some flip flops. A men’s medium was the smallest size they had, but I was in no position to be choosy! Oh it was nice to have a shoe on again and William can wear them, so it all worked out. Other than missing most of the third quarter due to dealing with the shoe, the game was fun. Jacob got to see the Longhorn marching band, Bevo the mascot and Bevo the actual Longhorn. He loved the “big, big TV” and eating junk food and playing around in the bleachers with his friend Ramsey. At one point I gave him and apple and it was cute because he decided to share it with Ramsey so they sat passing it back and forth. Technically you aren’t supposed to bring food into the stadium unless you have dietary restrictions. Personally I think being four qualifies as a dietary restriction. After the game we called to check on Bella, sadly it turns out that she had been throwing up. She had no fever and was happy and playing in between bouts so it was decided that we would go on with our plans to eat dinner and then head back to Montgomery. Poor Grandma and Paw Paw, they were so good to take care of her for us. We got back to Montgomery about 1 AM and just as my head hit the pillow poor baby woke up and she was not happy. I sat up with her the remainder of the night. I remember when the clock turned to 5:15 AM and thinking oh, wow I’ve been up for 24 hours straight! We finally got to sleep and slept until 10 and then got up and had a late breakfast. If you have little ones then you know sometimes they just throw up and then are better the next day and you don’t ever really know what caused it - that is how it was this time for Bella. On Sunday afternoon we headed back home and I took the kids to our favorite pumpkin patch at Good Shepherd Episcopal. They had a good time and it really is the cutest pumpkin patch, sadly though, the selection was pretty bad because we came so late. We ended up heading to Randall’s, not as picturesque but they had great pumpkins. After early voting we were finally back home again and I went to bed EARLY because I was wiped out! Next time I’ll write all about our Halloween and Renaissance Faire!

1 comment:

The Eges said...

Yeah, your shoe breaking when you are out of town stinks. This spring I was in College Station for a reunion with my Christian sorority, and as I'm getting out of the car at the reunion, my shoe breaks. I just had to deal with it because I would have missed half the reunion to go shopping for a shoe. I felt kind of silly saying "Sorry I'm walking funny. My shoe just broke!"


View My Stats