Monday, November 24, 2008

A trip to the ER - not for the squemish!!!

This past weekend Will showed me how to sharpen our knives. Knowing that I had a lot of chopping coming up this week, I sharpened our largest chef's knife before I began dinner tonight. Will was out getting the dry cleaning and the kids were eating supper at the table. I cut up the potatoes for dinner and was just slicing the last bit of the sausage when the now super sharp knife slipped and sunk into the ball of my pinkie finger. I didn't think much of it, ran it under the sink, wrapped it into a paper towel and finished up Will's supper. Except that it started dripping blood onto the floor and the counter and down my shirt. And it was starting to throb. Eeek! I wrapped it up tighter and held it over my head but it kept on bleeding. Once Will got home I headed off the the little ER place down the road. They are so awesome there, and got me all fixed up in a jiffy. 20 minutes and a couple of phone calls to my Mom later, I was all better. The cut is tiny but deep, and cut close to a nerve and that's why it hurts so much. I got kind of bored waiting in the ER so I took out my phone and took a picture, this is after it was cleaned up and they put some stuff on it to stop the bleeding. Then they put surgicell on it and wrapped it up. Holy cow, check out the giant bandage! I have to wear the bandage and surgicell for 72 hours and then can switch to a regular band aid. I was told that I absolutely cannot get raw turkey anywhere near the cut, so I guess I'll be wearing gloves or dictating to Will to get the meal ready for Thursday. That should make for good times. Of all the weeks when I really need both hands!

2 comments:

The Pences said...

Oh no! Poor Shaun!! I guess it's just good you didn't chop off any of your fingers... ick.

The Beasley's said...

Shaun Fisher! Halloween has passed, so I think the "hand costume" needs to go :-) Seriously, if it were me, I'm sure I would've been gagging! I just don't do blood. I'm glad everything is OK now. (On a side note: I now know how to get out of making big turkey dinners!)


View My Stats