Friday, February 13, 2009

Disney World

So we are very tentatively exploring the idea of taking a vacation to Disney World. I have a ton of questions, so if you have opinions please, please leave comments! 1. Staying in a Disney resort or not? Is it worth the money? We could afford Value or Moderate, not the big fancy ones. I will someday stay at the Animal Kingdom lodge whatever it is and drink coffee while giraffes lope by but that will be after a few years of saving! 2. Port Orleans-French Quarter vs. Caribbean Beach Resort. The Caribbean seems like it would be more fun for kids (pirate pool, Nemo decor in the rooms etc.) but the feedback I find on the web is very mixed, like that it is too big, too spread out, and issues with service, musty smelling rooms, dirty sheets - things that I really really don't want to deal with. On the other hand, the Port Orleans has very consistently positive reviews but the "theme" doesn't thrill me, magnolias, fountains, New Orleans style architecture, etc - it's awfully like being here in Houston, you know? I keep thinking of our first apartment over off Fountainview... The resort: Our first Apartment complex: See what I mean? Will we feel like we've really gotten the whole themed experience? I mean I guess it's interesting that gulf coast living is someone's idea of paradise but it kind of lacks a certain wow factor. 3. If we go, we would drive. How long is that trip? Ideas on taking such a long road trips with little ones? 4. Should we just ditch the whole idea, leave the little ones at grandma's and take a a few days off on our own instead? San Francisco? Fredericksburg? Anywhere? It is our ten year anniversary this year so if we choose Disney,it also means forgoing anything too fancy for our anniversary. Is it worth it? Is that selfish?

6 comments:

The Pences said...

I think it's a little freaky that your apartment complex looks like the Disney resort. Now I haven't been to Disney with kids, but I think mostly you'll spend your time at the parks so you might not even notice if you stayed in a cardboard box at night. :)
As far as the driving, the farthest we've gone is like an hour and a half so I really don't have any advice there. However, I have heard lots of people say that driving at night or early morning while the kids are asleep is the way to go.
I LOVE Disney World -- I know if you decide to go you'll have a blast!

Anonymous said...

It's about a 14 hour trip. Once you get on I-75 in Florida, there really isn't anything to see at all but trees along the road - the cities are all against the Gulf, and the freeway is a bit more inland - so, it's a pretty boring drive for the last few hours.

As for staying at Disney vs outside, that depends on time of year, and how often your kids take naps. If you stay outside, then you have to pay for parking and deal with the parking ticket lines. This usually isn't an issue unless you go over Thanksgiving, Xmas, or spring break. Staying in the park makes it easier to take the kids back to the room to take a nap. It's a little easier to come and go as you please. Plus, you can take a bus to all the attractions instead of having to get in your car and deal with the whole parking lot thing on a daily basis.

The Beasley's said...

We need to talk in person :)

Lisa Vandenberge said...

I think it just depends on if you and Will would enjoy Disney for yourselves... i.e. It's not something I'd spend my vacation/time money on for myself, so we plan on waiting till the girls are at least old enough to remember it and probably when they are no longer napping. I sure know lots of adults who do love Disney and for them it's totally worth it to go even when the kids are really small and everyone seems to have a great time... I've NEVER heard anyone say they wish they hadn't gone or even wish they had waited a few more years. However, if you are ONLY considering it for the kids, I wouldn't feel selfish about postponing it and doing modest family vacation this year so you can have more extravagent 10 yr trip.

The Eges said...

Let's talk about this. I have some thoughts, but too much to type at 9:30pm :)

Damon Law said...

From a recent experience based on cost alone.

$3500 = 3 people x 3 days in Disney Land.

$2200 = 5 people x 7 days in Mexico.

Disney's fun, but a weekend visit was plenty for us. Mexico far exceeded Disney for value + the kid learned to swim in Mexico. Disney can't top that.


View My Stats