Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What I’m Excited About

Poor Bella, she has been so sick for so long and we just never could get to the underlying cause – eventually, finally, we found out that she has a urinary tract infection which explains EVERYTHING. Night waking, regression in potty training, mysteriously high fevers, low immune system (she has had pneumonia, diarrhea, two viruses, two cases of strep and a yeast infection all since November), grouchiness, clinginess, lack of appetite.  Praise the Lord that I have a job that allows me to work from home or I honestly don’t know what I would have done over these last few months.

It was so scary and frustrating because week after week she would get sick.  It just makes me so upset to think how long she probably had this (Mystery fevers started in late November – shortly after she had diarrhea –which is probably how she ended up with e-coli in her urinary tract!) and we didn’t know!

I’m trying to be understanding of why three different doctors never would take a urine sample (I asked!) until finally the last time Will went I told him to tell the doctor we wanted a full blood work up and a urine sample. Period. 

I know doctors do their best, and I know that they probably get scrutinized for over ordering lab work and it costs families money so maybe they hesitate. And each time we took her in she was always sick with something (because a UTI will lower your immune system) so it was hard to get anyone to see the bigger picture.

I’m just grateful it is being treated now and I have learned that I will need to speak up next time and that if your daughter has a fever and no other symptoms – order a urine sample! (Don’t ask, don’t suggest, don’t say “Do you think, maybe?” Say - “I want you to run a test for UTI.”  No one, no matter how good, how loving, how educated will ever know my child like I do!

So, where’s the happy exciting part? Well, I am in the process of working with a vendor on Etsy called QTBUNNS to have some cloth training pants made for Anabel.  I believe that plastic Pull Ups at night and naptime are contributing to some of the problems she has had lately. The choices are all so pretty and it’s been fun to pick out the fabrics and everything. I can’t wait for them to arrive!

No comments:


View My Stats