Friday, March 26, 2010

The week from H E double hockey sticks

Sheesh, it’s 9:30 Friday night and all I can think is, please Lord is this week over yet?

To catch you up here’s a timeline

Thursday 3.18.2010

Bella has an upper respiratory infection, goes to doctor and is put on antibiotics.

Saturday 3.20.2010

Bella falls and chips tooth, we go to the dentist and get xrays, luckily the antibiotics she was already on, worked for the tooth thing too.

Sunday 3.21.2010

Jacob starts running a fever.

Shaun starts to feel terrible with allergies, sinus and horrible back pain

Will starts to feel bad.

Monday 3.22.2010

Shaun & Jacob stay home in bed. That night we notice Jacob is covered in a rash.

Tuesday 3.23.2010

Dog has diarrhea all over master bedroom carpet.

GOODMORNING.

Nothing beats stepping in cold piles of dog poop at 5:10 AM.

Will actually goes into the attic and pulls out the steam cleaner and cleans the carpets and then goes to work.

Jacob goes to doctor: he is diagnosed with Scarlet Fever (Scary talk for strep throat plus a rash)

Shaun goes to doctor: she is diagnosed with a sinus infection.

Both are put on antibiotics, Shaun is given muscle relaxers.

Wednesday 3.24.2010

Will stays home with Jacob. Shaun goes to work, Bella goes to school. Will starts taking antibiotics (he had an unfilled script)

Entire family is now on antibiotics.

Shaun takes muscle relaxer and goes to bed.

Will wakes Shaun up from deep drooly muscle relaxer sleep because Bella has started to throw up.

Will cleans sheets, bed, floor. Will actually went out to Kroger to buy carpet cleaner (Spot Shot is da’ bomb, waaaay better than Resolve)

Shaun cleans Bella and sets up a bed for her in our room. I am like that sister that gets married in Sixteen Candles, only not the getting married part. Despite my state I notice to myself that we are working great as a team. We are pros at this. We know to set up three or four layers of sheets and towels so we can just strip off one gunky layer, clean her up and all go back to sleep. We know to get four or five big t-shirts (so we can pull it over her head without it getting all in her hair and face)  and leggings for her to sleep in and have them ready to go by the bed and to put her hair back in a pony tail. We know not to let her have any water no matter how much she wants it, we know to let her suck on an ice cube instead.

Poor baby. She is sick at 11,1,2 and 3. I am like a pit crew in auto racing, I can get a child completely clean, in fresh PJs, with clean bedding and the nasties soaking in vinegar in like 1 minute flat. I think a couple of times she hardly even woke up.

On the other hand, I hardly slept, positive she would choke on her own vomit and I would sleep through it because I was on drugs. Instead I was awake aware of her every move. So I just lay there and listened to her breathe. Then I worried that Jacob would be sick too and I wouldn’t know and I made Will get up and check on him.

Thursday 3.25.2010

I stumble my way through the work day. Will’s Mom is home with Bella, who has stopped throwing up but is now running a 103.5 temperature. What???

My back is still killing me. While rubbing on it I find a LUMP, just to the left of my spine above my hip. It is about 1 inch in diameter. I make Will feel the lump. It is freaky and scary and I want it to not be there. I try not to think too much about it. I resist googling.

I call and make appointments for Bella and myself. I take more muscle relaxers and sleep well. I do not dream. I do not move or lie awake thinking about tumors on my spine.

Friday 3.26.2010

Bella wakes up and has no fever. Do I keep the appointment or what? I decide to still take her, just in case. We are headed into the weekend and I really don’t want her to be having urinary tract or ear infections or whatever.

So I work from home and we both go to the doctor. The really nice thing about a family doctor is that they can see both of you in the same room at the same time.

(Side bar – so this probably means I am going to switch pediatricians AGAIN, kind of, still at Kelsey Seybold but all of us under one guy. He is awesome, I didn’t understand before that a family doctor knows pediatrics, you don’t have to have a separate one.)

Bella’s diagnosis was more about ruling things out, probably just a stomach flu. She seems fine now and no one else has it (yet) and it seems unrelated to Scarlet Fever or anything else. Not food poisoning or a virus because it was just vomiting and not diarrhea. Wow I’ve never type the word diarrhea so many times before. It’s such a weird word, DIARRHEA. DIARRHEA. Ick.

Me, I am SO relieved to say I do not have tumor, I have a back mouse. A back mouse is old school non medical jargon for a knotted muscle. The doctor was sort of excited to see it because he had heard of it but never dealt with it first hand. I am going to have to take an anti-inflammatory for a while (and the muscle relaxers). And he recommended massage and stretching. It hurts because it is underneath the band of muscle I use to bend over. And you know, you can’t just not bend over. Not when you are a Mom and there’s kids to bathe and laundry and stuff in the oven.

In case you lost track that is:

5 doctor visits

6 prescriptions

1 throat culture

1 kidney infection screen (they thought that could be causing my back pain before I found the lump)

1 dentist visit

1 set of dental x-rays

um yeah.

So I’m waaaay ready for the week to be over and you are probably ready for this post to be over (if you are even still with me!) Please, pray for wellness for our family! And pray that we can deal with the doctor bills which are going to be off the hook. I’m fairly sure we hit our deductible (and it’s only March).

2 comments:

The Pences said...

I hit my deductible last year at the beginning of January. :) There was childbirth involved, though.
Man, your week sounds AWFUL! Hope it's all over for a while; surely you guys have had your fill. I bet stress had a tiny bit to do with your mouse. Try to take it easy (ha! right?). I wish I could help more. If you think of something I can help you with, let me know!

The Beasley's said...

Wow, I had NO idea ya'll were going through all that junk. And I'm so behind on blogs that I'm just now reading this! When the whole family is down and out like that...whoa. But you taught me some things about when the little ones are sick. The big tshirt thing is very very helpful! You're so wise, even when you're on drugs :)


View My Stats