Saturday, January 23, 2010

Leftover Lunch

Today I wanted to use up some leftover's that I had.

I wanted to make something like this; but I wanted to make it a lower fat version.

I sauteed all of this:

1/2 chopped onion,
1 T fresh chopped garlic,
A large handful of shredded carrots (The preshredded bagged ones are great to have around for throwing into casseroles and salads)
A chopped rib of celery

in 1 T olive oil and a splash of vegetable broth, cooking on med-high until mushrooms were browned and veggies were soft.

Into a glass casserole dish I put about 3/4 cup brown rice that I had leftover. (I didn't have any egg noodles and Will doesn't like them and brown rice is much healthier.)

I cut up the rest of a leftover rotisserie chicken - probably about 5 ounces and mixed it with 1/2 cup light sour cream and a can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup. I added all the vegetables and some black pepper. I added a dash of worcheshire and a little more vegetable broth.

I poured all of this down over the rice and then sprinkled it with 2T of French's Onions. These are really bad for you - but, like bacon, a small amount makes an entire dish seem very decadent.
Baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:


View My Stats